andrewwrensch@yahoo.com

Let go of control and expectations

My partner is a teacher at a large college in London and we have hosted some awesomely powerful and transformational mindfulness sessions there and we have also hosted some not-so successful mindfulness sessions there.

Looking back at what made the more successful ones successful vs the unsuccessful ones, we have learned a lot when delivering mindfulness to younger people and children. 

I had always seen it as a control thing, the more I was in control, the better the teaching experience was for me. Children have the ability to be disruptive and struggle to take things seriously sometimes. It can be hard for an adult to close their eyes and be left to manage their thoughts, let alone a child. We have experienced all kinds of reactions from storming off to crying but the most common one is, you guessed it... laughing. 

When I first started my journey with younger people, I would find the laughing disruptive and I would also see laughter (uncontrolled by an individual or group) in the session as my inability to control the group or control the situation. Feeling out of control in a situation can often make you feel like you want to control the individual so that you can take control again and bring the learning experience back to what you had planned. 

I have discovered that letting that control go and making the laughter, jokes and disruption a part of the process (to a degree) can help you let go of the control element. Behaviours, what ever they may be, are a part of the process for children. I am not saying that we condone negative and disruptive behaviour but what I am saying is that we need to identify the behaviours that are reflected as an outcome of a difficult process for a child and use that as part of their experience. I have found this to be a powerful tool when supporting younger people. 

If they want to laugh, then lets laugh and lets be explore that with an open mind, lets discuss why we laughed and talk about how we deal with things as a group before giving it another go. Once you have broken through this barrier, you can explore anything in your meditations, from compassion to gratitude with a much more attentive group. 

Letting go of my expectations and wanting to be in control has been a massive learning process for me but it has facilitated a much more explorative process for the kids- this is where the magic happens. As they discover their feelings and thoughts in a less controlled environment, they come up with these gems of insight that end up teaching us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for sharing this insight! I can really resonate with this. Last winter I held yoga and mindfulness sessions for an entire school during their wellbeing week and you're right, laughter was the most common reaction. I can also totally relate to the feeling of being out of control of the situation and wanting to find a way to control it again. Your reflections are a really powerful reminder that even this laughter can be embraced.

One thing I found a bit challenging and also sweet was when, in the middle of guiding a simple yoga flow for one class, a young girl (maybe 8 years old or so) came up to me and whispered about a couple of boys behind her that were laughing and being disruptive. Her sincerity was so touching and sweet, and so I whispered back that I'd go talk to them and also suggested that their laughter didn't have to interrupt her practice but that we could move her mat if she wanted.

It was a very interesting experience because in the middle of a practice guiding 20 students, it was difficult to continue leading the group, check in with the two boys, and also tend to her concerns. I'm curious if you have any insights on this or suggestions for navigating this.

• Like 1