Gillian Florence

What is one of the greatest gifts mindfulness has granted you?

• Administrators

This week's question asks:

What is one of the greatest gifts mindfulness has granted you?

If you reflect back on who you were 1 year ago, 5 years ago, 20 years ago, or longer, consider how mindfulness has changed your life. What is one of the gifts, skills, or insights that it has provided you? 

The greatest gift mindfulness has given me is the deeper awareness of my connection to all things. Before mindfulness I was obsessed with finding that one special secret that I could adopt that would miraculously change my life. Whilst the journey has been interesting, in the end it has been regular mindfulness practice that has ultimately changed my world. It is now the foundation of my coaching practice.

There is not a day goes by where I don't discover something knew about myself or the world around me - mindfulness has opened that door.

• Like 3

• Administrators

That's wonderful Mark. Thank you for sharing!

I think for myself, one of the greatest gifts mindfulness has granted me is body awareness. It's really helped me to understand the interconnection of mind and body and the power of simply being aware of body and breath. I've also become much more aware of the way that emotions present themselves in my body, which is a great tool for me to be able to be more present with the fullness of my experience. 

• Like 1

For me mindfulness has helped me be more aware of my emotions and how they affect me.  I don’t have to get wrapped up in all my emotions anymore. I realize that I am not my emotions. Mindfulness helps me to understand them by taking a step back and asking questions and observing.  If I’m having a down day or feeling angry about something I can sit down and ask what is the source. Is the anger necessary and can I let the anger go. If I’m just feeling down mindfulness can help me see if there is some thing that is causing me to have a more blue mood.  Maybe I just sit with the mood and be there or maybe I need to go out for a walk. Mindfulness helps me to know what I need to do to take care of myself.

• Like 3

• Administrators

I definitely resonate with that Sandra - that mindfulness can help us to identify what self-care looks like in any moment. Sometimes it is indeed just sitting and being with the sensations while at other times it is rising to our feet and engaging in some sort of action.