Gillian Florence

Future Self Journaling

That day could indeed be very close. 🙂

Let me know if you'd like to chat about Memory Palaces. It's my main gig and I teach a fair amount about memorizing long form mantras in my latest work. My TEDx gives the 13 minute version of the how and why for mindfulness outcomes:

• Like 1

This was beautiful

One thought at a time.  I read  the 7 Spiritual Laws Of Yoga  by Deepak Chopra and David Simon about 10 yrs ago. I wrote each law in a notebook and practiced one each day. Some were easy like " give something to everyone you meet today" others were more difficult, like "judge nothing that occurs". To practice non judgement, I started with my commute to work. No radio, just me and my judgements and my continuous dialogue with myself. What an eye opener! I judged all the other drivers, and when not judging, was creating speculative dialogue for the work day!  Since then I have cultivated a more quiet mind of gratitude, servitude and awe.

I am a Reiki Master now for about 6 years, yep all the woo woo! A few years ago I did A Course in Miracles, which completely transformed my life and my approach to Reiki.  I tend to be more of a mystic. I am always honored and humbled when Universe opens doors that allow me to share with, learn from and guide others

• Like 2

@AnthonyM - Thank you for sharing your TED Talk! That was a wonderful watch. I love these two questions - 'Are my thoughts useful?' and 'How do they behave?' Thank you for stating those so clearly.

I am going to practice mantra meditation this afternoon 🙂

• Like 2

@Gillian Florence All credit goes to Gary Weber for those questions... and to fate for how I somehow misread/interpreted them.  

@njmintzer8@gmail.com, the woo-woo topic is quite an interesting one. Some people have suggested I was a bit hard on the atheists in this talk, even though I would still generally identify as one. If I were to give this talk again, I would probably rephrase some of those elements, as my larger concern is really with scientific thinking and scientific literacy which sometimes becomes as dogmatic as religion, sometimes even outside of the awareness of some of the best people in the field.

There are n=1 experiments, for example, that produce data for the individual practitioner that can still be valid, even if it doesn't map onto the experience of others. The danger and harm that happens in the world is really hard to nail down, and so caveat emptor is a powerful concept in all realms to go along with higher levels of scientific literacy and all the benefits it can bring for both society at large and individuals. 

• Like 1