Gillian Florence

Future Self Journaling

Someone recently shared this link with me that outlines a journaling practice for expanding self-awareness while also creating positive change. I have started this morning and will continue to follow the prompts in 'Step 2' for the next 30 days - as part of a new goal to journal everyday for the next 30 days.

https://yourholisticpsychologist.com/future-self-journaling/

Hi Gillian,  how did you get on with journalling? I'm struggling to get things done at the moment and I know it's certain traits and beliefs holding me back, I think alongside my meditation practice it could be beneficial to try this to see if I get some more clarity. I do journal sometimes but never as regular daily practice. Hope you found it beneficial!

Hi Lisa! Thanks for checking in. So, I must admit, after three weeks I slipped out of the morning journaling routine. A good or bad one, my excuse is that I went on vacation. 😄

Since then, I've struggled to get back into the early morning journaling routine, but your message is a beautiful reminder of what I want to spend my time on. So thank you!

The prompt was really nice though and encouraged me to really connect with my envisioned future self. In the past, I've really enjoyed just taking 10 minutes to free write - to let whatever wants to come out to come out.

Are you thinking of setting a goal for yourself? If you do, I would be happy to join you again for another challenge!

Hi Gillian,  that's great you managed to do 3 weeks and that you are ready to take action again! 😄 I got up early this morning to do my practice and then journal. It was really beneficial and I will keep it going. Have you heard of The Artists Way? I started doing automatic writing, 3 pages every morning, after I read that. It was useful for a time but I do find the prompts for this one quite useful. So, if you're up for the challenge I will be doing this for the next 30 days, minimum!

• Thanks 1

I have heard of The Artists Way and keep thinking 'one day!' - so maybe now is the time.

Are you doing prompts from The Artists Way or from the link up top (future self journaling)? I am definitely up for another challenge, though am not sure whether I will do these prompts again or something else. Let me think on it for a day 🙂

Fantastic! I am going to join you for 21 days of 15 minutes free flow. I would do longer, but I may be travelling home to see my family after 3 weeks time, so I want to make the goal realistic 🙂

I've done something like this for many years based on some research Richard Wiseman presents in 59 Seconds (a really great book).

Jordan Peterson has a variation on this that uses some hero's journey elements that are worth looking at too.

It works wonders, especially when combined with gratitude journaling, as the article suggests. 

• Like 1

Oh thank you for this Anthony! I will check out that book - I haven't heard of it until now. And do you know if Peterson's resources for this are in a book or available online somewhere?

I'm actually working on a version of this myself to follow-up on my previous book which covered journaling a fair amount. 

The Peterson material is here:

https://www.selfauthoring.com/future-authoring

I think it's great, though I feel research suggests handwriting the answers would be more likely to produce results. Sadly, I neglected to ask him about that when I met him, but I had other questions on my mind at the time. 

Another place to look for the broader concerns and theories on this topic is in the realm of what is often called narrative therapy. 

Perhaps a bit more out there, I've found the dream analysis work of Robert Langs useful too. It's very unique in that he doesn't make anything mystical from the narrative content of dreams. Rather, it serves as catalysts for exploring three core anxieties he thinks we face. 

I haven't read it for a long time, but I remember it being compelling. 

https://www.amazon.com/Decoding-Your-Dreams-Revolutionary-Understanding/dp/0345364317

I was fortunate to work with him so have a slightly different take on the theory as a result. 

Hope these angles help your exploration. 🙂