Gillian Florence

What are your morning mindfulness practices?

• Administrators

This week's question asks:

What are your morning mindfulness practices?

The way we start our mornings is crucial. For myself, I really find that the tone and attention of my first hour sets the stage for the rest of the day. So, I'd love to hear about your morning mindfulness practices. These could be formal meditation practices, gratitude practices, journal habits, mindfulness of eating, mindfulness of technology, or anything else. Whatever you do (or try to do!) in the morning to begin your day mindfully, I'd love to hear about it.

• Administrators

One of the things I am trying to do every morning now is to not look at my phone until after I have gotten out of bed, walked the dogs, and ideally sat for meditation, contemplation, or journaling. I've started to keep my phone out of the bedroom overnight as I find it to be a distraction first thing in the morning otherwise.

Before I get out of bed, I think of three things I'm grateful for; I send thoughts of lovingkindness to three people (I try to include someone I find "difficult"), and I do what Shauna Shapiro recommends: laying a hand over my heart and saying, "Good Morning, Lena!". It's a nice, several-minute way to start my day.!

• Thanks 1