NEXT LIVE WORKSHOP – Liam McClintock – The Neuroscience of Craving & Samadhi – Wed. May 18th (Link in Dashboard) ×
janellecoggan@bigpond.com

Practice Journal Query

Hi Gillian and Mindfulness Teacher Training Colleagues,

I feel I have a good handle on the teaching practices and am well underway with getting that section of the training completed. The feedback from the weekly practice share has been invaluable and so supportive and has been worth the 3.30am starts for me personally. I have begun the workbook and will be focusing on the completion of this over the next few weeks.

Besides all the practices included during trainings, summits, blogs, podcasts etc that I participate or listen to most days - My question is around the Practice Journal - I have a daily personal practice whereby I complete a minimum 20 minutes of practice each day and use a variety of self guided, guided and modes of practice and have done for the past few years. I have a reasonably consistent daily ritual of writing daily gratititudes with a minimum of at least 11 but more often than not, can do as many as 22 to 122 depending on how much time I have. I also write a personal mantra and have a shortened version set as a daily reminder to stop during the day at a set time, breathe and read and/or recite my mantra and daily journal practice where I ask myself what my soul wishes to tell me today. Much of the journaling is very personal and some exploring some very traumatic issues that I am not all that comfortable with sharing with a wider community.

Would it be OK and satisfy the requirements, to write some sort of summary rather than attempting to think back and date each entry. What I was thinking was using page 20  from the Mindfulness Workbook advice and strategies as a guide and writing a paragraph or so about insights overall that I have gained since registering for the training almost 12 months ago and which practices supported me coming to the insights and realisations rather than a log style approach? 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Hi Janelle! Nice to see you here in the forum. I'm so glad you have been getting a lot out of the Tuesday sessions - I really enjoy them as well and I think we all learn so much from each other.

In terms of the meditation log:

Since there is a 40-hour practice requirement, the log is the best way for us to tally hours and to get a good overview of your practice and insights. The column with notes/insights does not need to include a ton of detail (a few key points is completely fine!). So to ensure that the submission guidelines are the same for everyone across the board, we will need the log completed. If you have your journal entries, you could just noted the many themes or sensations that came up in accordance with specific dates (and length/type of mindfulness practice).

Hi Gillian,

It's still a little confusing to navigate but am gradually finding my way. It would be lovely to download a digital brain to help with all the techie stuff. 😅

Thankyou for clarifying that it needs to be specifically logged.

Can you tell me how many hours in total each of the retreats that Sean has run are worth and whether these can be included. The journaling around these weekends was done as a reflection following each weekend rather than after individual sessions as it was suggested that if we journal a lot - maybe not to journal during the weekends.

I am working through a Sharon Stalzenberg course  which includes daily prompts so can use that as a daily one for other hours.

Gratefully appreciated.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Yes - you can use the formal meditation time in the retreat towards your hours. So if a session was 1.5 hours but the meditation was 30 minutes, you could log 30 minutes. You should soon have access to all the recordings (they're being uploaded slowly) so you could go back and refresh your memory what each meditation was about and jot down a couple of notes of how you felt. Do you know where to access these retreat recordings?