Gillian Florence

Communicating mindfully via social media

I've been reflecting a lot about the way we communicate on social media. It seems very difficult to engage in meaningful, compassionate dialogue around important subjects on platforms like Facebook and Instagram. I'm wondering if anyone else is finding this? It would be great if we could share some thoughts on how to communicate more mindfully on these networks.

One of the challenges I sense is the speed at which we consume posts and images on these platforms. When we scroll quickly and consume this much content in such a short period of time, I imagine we are less contemplative and thoughtful about what is entering us. This can lead to more unconscious reactions or less-than-mindful comments and responses. More intentional usage of these media forms could certainly help.

If anyone has any insights or suggestions about how to navigate these waters, I'd love to hear.

Thanks for bringing this up. I’m equally as frustrated and limit my time on these social media networks. My purpose for going on them is to connect with friends. I choose my news networks and rarely stray from them. I would rather trust my new source. I too would love a platform where people could freely discuss things and not have to worry about bullies. For me less is more. If I had a recommendation it would be be mindful about what you consume, how it affects you and most importantly is it factual is it true.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the insight Sandra! I am continually working on being mindful of my consumption; sometimes it is indeed difficult. Nevertheless, it is a work in progress 🙂

I was also thinking this morning that sometimes we don't check in on people via social media because we have this false sense of intimacy with them already through seeing what they're up to online. It made me really want to be more conscious about reaching out individually - intentionally checking in with those I am close to. I think this could help to balance consumption as we become more mindful active users of this technology.

Social media is great to keep up with acquaintances and groups that were in and special interests. I also like it for keeping in contact with friends is who have moved away. I do agree I don’t find much intimacy with people on social media. It’s more like a playground where we go to have fun and meet up with people we haven’t seen in a while. We could also find a fun event. As far as intimacy goes I can’t see it happening for myself. I need that personal interaction. It’s good to know how to use a resource wisely. I think social media is a great way to connect with people to create opportunities to meet new friends and connect with old ones. I think mindfulness can help us to understand what is good about the different tools we have to use in life. Mindfulness can Help us see when were using them incorrectly or another way to say it unproductively are even damaging.

• Like 1

I think the simile of social media being like a playground. This could definitely help us all to bring more lightness to it and to reflect upon the time we spend in that world. Thank you for sharing your reflections!

One of my practices when engaging in social media is to not respond on the spot when I read friends’ posts or comments in groups. I generally go back and respond the next day so that I’ve had time to really think about what was said rather than just reacting to it. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 10:02 PM, jeffrey108miller@gmail.com said:

One of my practices when engaging in social media is to not respond on the spot when I read friends’ posts or comments in groups. I generally go back and respond the next day so that I’ve had time to really think about what was said rather than just reacting to it. 

This is a great consideration to make. It reminds me of something a good friend once said to me. He said, "When the emotion is strong, the pause is long." Whether conversing in the online world or the real one, I think this is an important concept to remember.

Great Topic!! 

At first I was hesitant to even bringing Mindfulness into a conversation; I suppose for fear of being misunderstood or judged;

Now I feel freer to do so to see how it is interpreted. So where have I begun? At home with my Partner, and little by little it seems I can fit it into the conversation as I did yesterday! We have a standard joke about being the "KIA, Know It All" of the household, of course we are not, though makes for some frivolity! Beyond that she admitted that she needs to learn how to forgive herself for her misdeeds which I followed up with..."We have a Mindful term for that" ,which she queried about as I briefly explained as

"Self-Compassion" which apparently was new to her! So I informed her that I first heard that term from Dr. Richard Davidson>>

https://centerhealthyminds.org/about/founder-richard-davidson.    

So now I am working on a proposal for presenting an "Intentional Mindfulness Workshop" to a Career Voluntary Group I assist at; our Coordinator seems to need to justify how this would help Job Seekers and needing an immediate "Take Away" as he expressed. Sean was helpful to clarify my Next Move on that...sorry, hope I was not off track; it's all relative to certain varying degrees.

I see that I seem to be the only one who uses a Color font here; I choose rather Mindfully because to me, it represents, "Hope" coming from my Catholic background.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing this Rick. Heading off track makes for great conversations 🙂

That's great that you are exploring ways of bringing up mindfulness in your interactions with other people. For me it's something I feel out according to the people I'm with - and as some of our guest speakers have mentioned, we can cater the language we use according to our audience. For instance, some people might really resonate with spiritual or Buddhist terms and themes, while other people might resonate with a more secular approach. 

Thanks, Gillian,

I was reviewing my Meditations, I have participated in so far...not that the amount matters...I counted 114 as of today as I was listening to Sean's Theme: "Positive Future" as I listened to the background of my WindChimes in my backyard as I have been experiencing Anx from an OTC med I took before Dinner  and later experienced Chest pains with some leftover anxiety today; I took an xtra low dose aspirin last night with additional checks on BP's and my Pulses -all Normal...sometimes we need to be aware of what mixes with what esp. if the Physical & Emotions are combined...maybe I am having leftover reactions today; my Partner offered to take me to the ER, then later I read that the OTC med had a side effect reaction of "Chest pains" as a result of...so why to share? Just for awareness sake, for sure...I worked in Healthcare for over 11 + years, so I know my signs to be on the look out for....no worries so far...

I have an imp. announcement for a Live Zoom Meditation on Thanksgiving day!!!! See y'all at the "Watercooler" for my Announcement!!!

Thanks Gillian for my ramblings>>maybe helps to release my Anxieties today:)

Edited by finestcoaching524@gmail.com
Mis-spoke of Meditations as "Mediations!:)"
  • Like 1

Hi Rick,

Are you feeling better today? I understand the anxiety that can come with strange, unexpected bodily sensations - and, it is interesting you mention chest pains because I, too, had an unusual pain in the chest a few days ago. Since I had never experienced it before, I was a bit worried, but I took the time to pay attention to it, to monitor it, and to go easy on myself. It was there all day, worse when I made certain movements, but it subsided by night and into the next morning.

Wishing you well!

Ahh...& hear I figured I was rambling unintentionally; sorry to hear, Gillian; doing better, thanks, that OTC Med..really took me out of my element...always be aware when combining certain Meds, OTC or not...

I spent numerous time in Meditations yesterday. Despite the Benefits, we cannot ignore the Physical, for sure...when is doubt of Chest pain...get Checked out!Medically!!! The Life you save may be your own!!

I had an Anxiety Attack back in 2017 (2nd time in my lifetime) and wound up at the ER; thank God it was just that...and never never play doctor..see how our minds get distracted & plays tricks on us!!!

Be well, Gillian and whoever else reads this!

Edited by finestcoaching524@gmail.com
  • Like 1