Gillian Florence

Which of the attitudinal foundations of mindfulness are easiest for you to connect with? Which are most difficult?

• Administrators

This week's question asks:

Which of the attitudinal foundations of mindfulness are easiest for you to connect with? Which are most difficult?

Consider the following attitudinal foundations of mindfulness: beginner's mind, acceptance, non-striving, trust, gratitude, patience, non-judging, and letting go. Which ones do you embody with ease? Which ones feel more challenging to you? Share your reflections on this and also consider ways in which you can strengthen those that feel more difficult for you.

Gratitude in general comes naturally to me. It's a family belief, you could say, so I came with it. And it's helped immensely through my life. 

When I am mindful and focus, I am more easily able to embody patience, non-judging, trust & letting go. It's when I'm on auto pilot that I forget these things. For me, having a time of day to check in and be mindful of what I'm feeling and what I'm resisting is very helpful. Also making an "if this, then that" statement. If I'm feeling impatient with myself or others, then I take a few deep breaths and reassess the situation with an open mind and love. Usually the pieces fall into place after that. 

It's the little things done consistently that make the difference. 

• Like 2

The easiest practice for me is gratitude. Gratitude for an experience in a situation. Gratitude for what I have: health, material comfort, a love affair.

It takes more compassion to accept my anger and irritation towards people, family and trainees. 
I have become aware that this anger connects with deep seated memories of humiliation and sense of being unprotected. I have acquainted with the body areas where I feel/sense these memories and being present with them during meditation. 

• Like 1