The Gabor Maté workshop was amazing!!  Thank you so much to everyone for arranging it and being there, and of course Dr. Maté.  Thank you to all who shared their interactions.  I learned so much from the dialogues about my own processing and emotional life.  Am listening to In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts which has really been thought provoking.  Wondering how the work shop was for others, and thank you again to those who shared their processing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 13pink@gmail.com said:

The Gabor Maté workshop was amazing!!  Thank you so much to everyone for arranging it and being there, and of course Dr. Maté.  Thank you to all who shared their interactions.  I learned so much from the dialogues about my own processing and emotional life.  Am listening to In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts which has really been thought provoking.  Wondering how the work shop was for others, and thank you again to those who shared their processing.

It was amazing, however, I was unprepared for how triggered I would be. I didn't realize how much I fawn when difficult conversations are being had. When people were sharing the feeling of wanting to sooth other people with a smile and nodding my head in hopes that if they saw me, they felt understood. About half way though I stopped the urge to "fix" anything and just allowed the deep personal pain that was shared to just arise in my own system. Every single person that shared - shared something I too had experienced at some point or with some person. I am very interested in learning/delving more into the mirror concept that Dr. Mate spoke of. I think I have a completely different understanding of that teaching after the deep shares. I have a tremendous gratitude for Sean to have given us this incredible opportunity. I will be mindfully working with these feelings and become more aware of their origin for quite some time.

• Like 3

• Administrators

Marian and Nan, thank you both for sharing your reflections on Gabor Maté's workshop. I was so deeply touched by this session - it was so authentic and so deeply human. I started reading In The Realms of Hungry Ghosts many years ago but never finished. Perhaps I will get back to it.

I also find the topic of Compassionate Inquiry very interesting and powerful. I am training in Depth Hypnosis at the moment and we practice what is called Insight Inquiry, which seems to have some similarities. 

Another interesting thing that came up for me, as you refer to Nan: this idea of 'fawn' as a fourth way that the stress response manifests. The word 'fawn' in this context just came into my awareness when I was reading something a few weeks ago. It was great to see this brought up. Nan, I also completely resonate with that inclination to smile, to nod, to 'lean in' to soothe so-to-speak in the face of another's suffering. In my training in Depth Hypnosis, I became aware of this pattern in myself (so many of us have it - it's very natural). What I am practicing now is rather than leaning in to fix or to soothe, just trying to really hold with compassion. To hold that space with care without trying to change the reality of what is present for someone. It's difficult work for me, but I am feeling into it as I go.

Much gratitude for this session and for everyone who shared and showed up. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Gillian Florence said:

Marian and Nan, thank you both for sharing your reflections on Gabor Maté's workshop. I was so deeply touched by this session - it was so authentic and so deeply human. I started reading In The Realms of Hungry Ghosts many years ago but never finished. Perhaps I will get back to it.

I also find the topic of Compassionate Inquiry very interesting and powerful. I am training in Depth Hypnosis at the moment and we practice what is called Insight Inquiry, which seems to have some similarities. 

Another interesting thing that came up for me, as you refer to Nan: this idea of 'fawn' as a fourth way that the stress response manifests. The word 'fawn' in this context just came into my awareness when I was reading something a few weeks ago. It was great to see this brought up. Nan, I also completely resonate with that inclination to smile, to nod, to 'lean in' to soothe so-to-speak in the face of another's suffering. In my training in Depth Hypnosis, I became aware of this pattern in myself (so many of us have it - it's very natural). What I am practicing now is rather than leaning in to fix or to soothe, just trying to really hold with compassion. To hold that space with care without trying to change the reality of what is present for someone. It's difficult work for me, but I am feeling into it as I go.

Much gratitude for this session and for everyone who shared and showed up. 

I started listening to In The Realms of Hungry Ghosts today. Wow. Thank you Marian and Gillian for the referral.

• Like 2

I am also so grateful for Dr. Mate's workshop. The conversations with those who shared were so raw and real and had so much emotion, and the last share reached me to my core. I found myself posting support to the person sharing in the chat as I related so much to what she was saying. I wanted her to know she wasn't alone and then I realized that by typing, I had also somewhat distracted myself from the last part of the conversation as a slight coping mechanism to what it was stirring in me. I am so ready to start peeling back the layers of suffering I have been carrying all my life and am really looking forward to not only listening to the recording again, but practicing "What happened". I was thinking about how these skills will also be beneficial for my professional life in the HR realm. 

This course is beyond amazing and I am in awe and am so humbled to be a part of it. It's difficult for me to articulate to others the level of education I'm receiving and the beautiful impact it's having on my life. Sean was so right when he commented that people sign up for this course and then realize how much it impacts them personally (sorry, I know this isn't exactly what he said, but hopefully it shares the meaning).  Sean's rawness in this workshop was also extremely powerful to me. Everyone who opened their hearts showed me that I don't have to be perfect to be able to help others. We're all still trying to figure out our own stuff and I think there is beauty in sharing that. To me, that's when the real teaching can begin. 

There are no words for the amount of gratitude I have.

• Like 3

• Administrators

Lisa,

Thank you for this beautiful share. I resonate with much of what you said, and specifically want to comment on practicing 'What happened'. I found it so powerful when Gabor redirected to what had actually happened rather than any sort of analysis or commentary on what happened. It was such an experience to watch those three hours unfold and I am very grateful for all those who shared during the session.

I also know what you mean when you say it's difficult to articulate what type of education you are receiving. I have felt the very same way during different training courses - it is hard to put words to the INNER 'education' that takes place.

And Natalie, regarding your question about when the workshop will be available to watch: I am not quite sure, but I will post here when I get a better sense.

• Like 3

Hi Everyone, it was definitely a special session. For me it was very late, so I'm looking forward to the recording with a bit more fresh mind.

I also noticed some difficult emotions coming up, a learning possibility to all participants. It might be also due to Gábor's directness. He looks like a very free, straightforward, humble person with a very sharp mind, not much in favor of sugarcoating, seeing himself and everyone very clearly.

I checked out some of his Hungarian language interviews as well, on Youtube. Apart from obviously noticing his rusty Hungarian and excellent command of English, you can see the same easy-going way of speaking and sharing, also his private things.

I just finished his book When the Body Say No, highly recommended.

Warm thanks for bringing him to us.

Tünde

Edited by tndturbucz@gmail.com
  • Like 3

After the presentation that was impressive, I was very mixed about it...I did email Sean, yet no response from him as yet, as I know he has a lot on his plate right now, as I do as well.

In any case, I partially felt he was performing actual Psychotherapy for those who willing came forward; we are being Trained as Teachers, not Therapists as profound as other were very impressed; as I am trained to be a Therapist, I will know my Boundaries with Students; it can be a fine line & as Teachers we need to be aware of that boundary.

That's enough for now. 

On 10/18/2021 at 2:00 PM, finestcoaching524@gmail.com said:

After the presentation that was impressive, I was very mixed about it...I did email Sean, yet no response from him as yet, as I know he has a lot on his plate right now, as I do as well.

In any case, I partially felt he was performing actual Psychotherapy for those who willing came forward; we are being Trained as Teachers, not Therapists as profound as other were very impressed; as I am trained to be a Therapist, I will know my Boundaries with Students; it can be a fine line & as Teachers we need to be aware of that boundary.

That's enough for now. 

But is the process of Compassionate Inquiry itself Psychotherapy though? I know each State defines psychotherapy differently and in Kansas' statute #65-5802 article B defines it as "...assisting an individual or group for a fee, monetary or otherwise, through counseling, assessment, consultation and referral and includes the diagnosis and treatment of mental disorders..." and of those activities listed (as defined by that statute) only part of the activity of the "referral" process (that means the evaluation of information to identify problems) happens in Compassionate Inquiry.
Not saying that we as Mindfulness Teachers should do this process (I do not advocate mixing disciplines - especially any that is a State licensed process).
Just asking the question in a way that more clearly identifies boundaries by first mapping the territory to stay out of first.

P.S. for reference of this discussion: https://www.ksrevisor.org/statutes/chapters/ch65/065_058_0002.html AND if I have not identified the professional activity of Psychotherapy as "Professional Counseling" here too is the link to Statutes in Kansas that govern Behavioral Sciences: https://ksbsrb.ks.gov/reg-stats/ksbsrb-statutes

P.S.S. Not attachment to the answer just seeking an exploration. Thanks in advance for the mindful discourse.

Edited by info@tymbalmindfulness.com
Clarification
  • Like 1

Hi All, 

I question Dr. Gabor's Technique;  just because Folks agree to a "Compassionate Inquiry" does not necesarily mean that he or she is not performing Therapy; as Therapists, as I have been previously, many Therapists utilize many varied techniques, to delve in to a Client's psyche;  this, I perceive, as one of them. I may stand alone here, then so be it.

We, as Teachers of Mindful Meditations, are Not Therapists, so I offer a general Caution to all; though we may want to help our Clients, yet again, Clinical Boundaries need to be respected & upheld; in-retrospect, what if a Client went into Dysregulation from past Trauma and a Mindfulness Teacher was not prepared for that, being respective of David Trelaven's Trauma-Sensitive Mindfulness Book & principles. So I ask, what's a Mindfulness Teacher to do in that case? Just my own "Compassionate Inquiry".

Edited by finestcoaching524@gmail.com
Word Correction