Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to welcome our Newest Members! We are now at 7; feel free to use color fonts to distinguish one another;

not a requirement; just thought it's an easy way to distinguish one another...I use Purple due to it being representative of Hope.

In any case do any of you have David's Book? Just curious...I am 4/5's nearly finished-A powerful Testimony.

Edited by finestcoaching524@gmail.com

A few things.   In reading the example stories, I was most interested in the hippocampal failure where the "brain never gets the message that the traumatic event has ended...".  And that mindfulness teachers are not experts in how to work with someone's trauma but instead become trauma-informed and trauma-sensitive.  It feels investigatory to me.  There's no one way but instead, being informed and sensitive and exploring from that space. 

Also, when I was studying psychology in college there was no mention of trauma or PTSD (to the best of my memory).  I found the history of how PTSD evolved to become a diagnosis very interesting.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 8:28 AM, Sara Doolittle said:

A few things.   In reading the example stories, I was most interested in the hippocampal failure where the "brain never gets the message that the traumatic event has ended...".  And that mindfulness teachers are not experts in how to work with someone's trauma but instead become trauma-informed and trauma-sensitive.  It feels investigatory to me.  There's no one way but instead, being informed and sensitive and exploring from that space. 

Also, when I was studying psychology in college there was no mention of trauma or PTSD (to the best of my memory).  I found the history of how PTSD evolved to become a diagnosis very interesting.

Yes, Sara, 

I dont recall anything from my College years also, though we spent much time with my Abnormal Psych course becoming familiar with all the varied Mental Health diagnoses from DSM #3 into DSM #4.

What sticks out in my mind are the questions we may ask of any clients and how we ask those questions are key to heathy discussions re: Trauma; we may not always be aware of someone's history.

Since I am now finished with his Book, though Never ever really finished, David provides a "Screen For Trauma" Questionaire on Pg. 162 for assessing Folks who may attend a Retreat. I suppose this could apply to a closed group foe those who have suffered Trauma as well....

The Trauma curiosity & discovery will forever be an ongoing educational process

Great discussion here.:)

Added additional notes.

Awesome, Sara! What's more apparent to me now is, that if we can be Present for folks who suffer Trauma and help them to regulate themselves with provided assistance from us, then, that is primary, in my opinion! it's all about giving Clients options during Meditation, particularly if they are feeling Dys-regulated.

David is a Great Teacher! We have been in class with him twice since I've come aboard.

If I may digress a little; here is a Podcast from David's Website; this is what David says about this Podcast:

"We just released a new episode of the Trauma-Sensitive Mindfulness (TSM) Podcast that I wanted to share:

In this episode I spoke with Simon Whitesman, a medical doctor and psychologist who is also a founding member of the Institute for Mindfulness South Africa. Simon has spent decades exploring the connection between mindfulness and trauma, especially in the context of South Africa".:

https://davidtreleaven.com/tsm-podcast-episode-24-simon-whitesman/?inf_contact_key=9baef88a208c033f0433d14bfff2e48d680f8914173f9191b1c0223e68310bb1

David does have a Facebook group too; let's check out this Podcast, perhaps comment after. I have yet to listen to it yet.

Adding what & who is in this Podcast.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.