pwalker281@gmail.com

"Teaching Strategies" for Lesson 3 Workbook Exercise

I started Lesson 3 today, and one of the workbook exercises is to come up with "teaching strategies" for teaching the 9 mindfulness attitudes (e.g., beginner's mind, trust, acceptance). Is there somewhere in the course where information on "teaching strategies" is presented, i.e. what they are, how to use them in the classroom? There is a resource called "Training Deep Dives." Would info on strategies be found there?

I'm thinking that we have to be introduced to teaching strategies that are available, especially if we don't have much teaching experience, before we can talk about how we plan to use them to teach these concepts. Thanks in advance.

Patrice

• Administrators

Hi Patrice,

Great question and feedback. I will pass this on, but I'll also share some thoughts about how to fill this out. 

First, you can absolutely use the Training Deep Dives to help you fill this out. There is a lot of great information there, for instance, about how to help students cultivate beginner's mind (i.e. by asking open-ended questions infused with curiosity). 

But beyond the Training Deep Dives, I recommend approaching this chart by asking yourself the following questions and seeing what intuitively arises. I'll use 'non-striving' as an example:

• How can I model non-striving through my way of being? (i.e. "If a student expresses that they were trying to feel relaxed during a practice but couldn't, I can hold space for their experience as it was and help them to inquire into what they did feel")
  • What words, examples, or stories can I use to talk about non-striving? (i.e. "I can explain that we're not trying to get anywhere or achieve anything through mindfulness; we're just opening to what is") 
  • What sorts of practices might help my students gain an experiential understanding of non-striving? (i.e. "Mindfulness of breathing helps to convey non-striving because we aren't trying to reach another breath; we're just noticing this one."

You certainly don't need to answer all of these questions to fill out the chart, but they might help you to come up with ideas for each. Let me know if this helps!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hi Gillian, I just remembered that I purchased the brandable curriculum, so I am reviewing that now; it looks like it has what I was looking for with respect to strategies. I also purchased A Clinician's Guide to Teaching Mindfulness. I'm finding it extremely helpful. But  I did follow your suggestions and actually came up with some "strategies" for teaching the attitudes. So thanks for those prompts. I have so many resources at my disposal through this training program, and I find I have to slow down a bit more to take it all in and organize it. My practicing a little more patience would probably come in handy right about now 🙂  

Edited by pwalker281@gmail.com
added a sentence
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Hi Patrice! I'm so glad you found some more resources to help you with this, and that the reflection prompts were supportive. But yes - there is a lot to take in. You'll find little nuggets of insight as you go through things, which will link back to teaching strategies and help you gain a stronger sense of how to share teach and exemplify the core principles. Keep me posted on how things go and let me know if you have any further questions 🙂

• Like 1