NEXT LIVE WORKSHOP – Liam McClintock – The Neuroscience of Craving & Samadhi – Wed. May 18th (Link in Dashboard) ×
pwalker281@gmail.com

"Teaching Strategies" for Lesson 3 Workbook Exercise

I started Lesson 3 today, and one of the workbook exercises is to come up with "teaching strategies" for teaching the 9 mindfulness attitudes (e.g., beginner's mind, trust, acceptance). Is there somewhere in the course where information on "teaching strategies" is presented, i.e. what they are, how to use them in the classroom? There is a resource called "Training Deep Dives." Would info on strategies be found there?

I'm thinking that we have to be introduced to teaching strategies that are available, especially if we don't have much teaching experience, before we can talk about how we plan to use them to teach these concepts. Thanks in advance.

Patrice

• Like 1

• Administrators

Hi Patrice,

Great question and feedback. I will pass this on, but I'll also share some thoughts about how to fill this out. 

First, you can absolutely use the Training Deep Dives to help you fill this out. There is a lot of great information there, for instance, about how to help students cultivate beginner's mind (i.e. by asking open-ended questions infused with curiosity). 

But beyond the Training Deep Dives, I recommend approaching this chart by asking yourself the following questions and seeing what intuitively arises. I'll use 'non-striving' as an example:

• How can I model non-striving through my way of being? (i.e. "If a student expresses that they were trying to feel relaxed during a practice but couldn't, I can hold space for their experience as it was and help them to inquire into what they did feel")
  • What words, examples, or stories can I use to talk about non-striving? (i.e. "I can explain that we're not trying to get anywhere or achieve anything through mindfulness; we're just opening to what is") 
  • What sorts of practices might help my students gain an experiential understanding of non-striving? (i.e. "Mindfulness of breathing helps to convey non-striving because we aren't trying to reach another breath; we're just noticing this one."

You certainly don't need to answer all of these questions to fill out the chart, but they might help you to come up with ideas for each. Let me know if this helps!

• Like 1

Hi Gillian, I just remembered that I purchased the brandable curriculum, so I am reviewing that now; it looks like it has what I was looking for with respect to strategies. I also purchased A Clinician's Guide to Teaching Mindfulness. I'm finding it extremely helpful. But  I did follow your suggestions and actually came up with some "strategies" for teaching the attitudes. So thanks for those prompts. I have so many resources at my disposal through this training program, and I find I have to slow down a bit more to take it all in and organize it. My practicing a little more patience would probably come in handy right about now 🙂  

Edited by pwalker281@gmail.com
added a sentence
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Hi Patrice! I'm so glad you found some more resources to help you with this, and that the reflection prompts were supportive. But yes - there is a lot to take in. You'll find little nuggets of insight as you go through things, which will link back to teaching strategies and help you gain a stronger sense of how to share teach and exemplify the core principles. Keep me posted on how things go and let me know if you have any further questions 🙂

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 9:50 AM, pwalker281@gmail.com said:

I started Lesson 3 today, and one of the workbook exercises is to come up with "teaching strategies" for teaching the 9 mindfulness attitudes (e.g., beginner's mind, trust, acceptance). Is there somewhere in the course where information on "teaching strategies" is presented, i.e. what they are, how to use them in the classroom? There is a resource called "Training Deep Dives." Would info on strategies be found there?

I'm thinking that we have to be introduced to teaching strategies that are available, especially if we don't have much teaching experience, before we can talk about how we plan to use them to teach these concepts. Thanks in advance.

Patrice

@pwalker281@gmail.com, thanks for posting this. I'm currently in Lesson 3, an myself have been wondering how we would teach the Attitudinal Foundations. When within our teaching timeline with students would we introduce it, and how to approach the foundations? 

I see you posted this in August and was wondering how you have tackled this and if you could share what you learned? many thanks 

For someone who found meditation through my battle with chronic stress and anxiety, when first reading the foundations, I was ticking early every foundation that I lacked or had struggles with during my darkest times. 

Hoping @Gillian Florence could you expand some more on this, also Partice mentioned "Training Deep Dives", ?  

Love to you all

Edited by Daniel Charles

• Administrators

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your questions! First, the Training Deep Dives are under the Curriculum tab in the Dashboard (for those that purchased the add-on of the curriculum).

Second, I think there are one of two ways to teach the attitudinal foundations - either directly or indirectly. So, a teacher could hold a session directly focused on the attitudinal foundations or these foundations could be interwoven into one's teachings (whether during didactic teaching or during a guided meditation). 

I'll offer some ideas for teaching strategies related to acceptance as an example:

• Didactic teaching - ask students how they would define acceptance; note what acceptance is and is not (you could use a probing question such as, "Do you think it's possible to accept that it is raining and an outdoor plan was cancelled without liking that it is raining and a plan was cancelled?"); acknowledge also the difficulties of accepting things like chronic pain, and that acceptance does not make us stop taking action where it is needed
  • During meditation - in your guidance, inviting participants to see if there is something about there experience that they can accept just the way it is, noting again that this is not about liking the experience or making it 'right'; it's about accepting the simple reality of the present moment

Let me know your thoughts or reflections on the above.

And here's the link to Jon Kabat-Zinn's discussion of these attitudes:

On 11/8/2021 at 12:57 PM, Daniel Charles said:

@pwalker281@gmail.com, thanks for posting this. I'm currently in Lesson 3, an myself have been wondering how we would teach the Attitudinal Foundations. When within our teaching timeline with students would we introduce it, and how to approach the foundations? 

I see you posted this in August and was wondering how you have tackled this and if you could share what you learned? many thanks 

For someone who found meditation through my battle with chronic stress and anxiety, when first reading the foundations, I was ticking early every foundation that I lacked or had struggles with during my darkest times. 

Hoping @Gillian Florence could you expand some more on this, also Partice mentioned "Training Deep Dives", ?  

Love to you all

Hey Daniel, sorry for the delay in responding. I only get to the community a few times a month. All good questions for which I don't have specific answers at this time. For now, I am focusing on understanding and experiencing mindfulness and mindfulness meditation for myself. Currently on Lesson 7 (altho still working on the lesson 6 journal exercise). If there are workbook questions in Lessons 1-10 about teaching, I'm taking Gillian's advice and seeing what arises intuitively. Once I get into Lessons 11-20, I'll focus more on teaching. Way less stress for me this way. I want a SOLID foundation in mindfulness before I even think about teaching it. I also purchased the brandable curriculum as a way of making teaching easier (i.e. less stressful). Hope this helps.

Aloha, Patrice

• Like 1