Gillian Florence

Favourite Affirmations and Mantras

What are your favourite affirmations or mantras to use - either while teaching or during personal practice?

A very grounding phrase for me is, "I am here." Its simplicity helps me to effortlessly come back to this present moment, without expecting myself to be or to feel in any particular way.

• Like 1

Love it Gillian! Thank you for creating this! I hear students feedback in the classes that I teach they love the "I", "You" and "we" mantras. 

May I be happy

May I be safe

May I live in peace

and May I live fully present. 

Wishing all of this for you Gillian. Have a great day!

• Like 1

I committed this to memory a few years ago and sing it almost every day:

I like the more robust memory challenges for creating presence with memory itself.

But I guess "neti neti" as short form would also do.

Often this is translated as "not this, not this," but a variation I heard recently was "cancel, cancel." I think that's great too, but it has a slightly different tone, as when battling thoughts away or something like that. 

• Thanks 1

Wonderful share - thanks Anthony! I was actually just listening to Deva Premal this morning.

I agree that there is something lovely about committing long mantras to memory. When I studied hatha yoga, we sung a 14-line invocation of the goddess each morning. By the end, it was second nature. I still come back to that and find a deep sense of peace after going through it a few times.

• Like 1