NEXT LIVE WORKSHOP – Liam McClintock – The Neuroscience of Craving & Samadhi – Wed. May 18th (Link in Dashboard) ×
Ana Gouvea

Hello!

Hi,

My name is Ana Gouvea. I am a Licensed Mental Health Counselor in the state of Florida. I am also an author and I have a Podcast "Be Healthy! Be Mindful!" where I discuss topics on mental health and mindfulness. I was first introduced to mindfulness when a friend gave me Jon Kabat-Zinn's book "Full Catastrophe Living" 28 years ago. I meditated daily for 3 years and then little by little I stopped meditating. At the time I was living in Brazil (I am Brazilian) and then moved to USA to do a Ph.D. in linguistics. I was a professor and researcher at FIU in Miami for several years and then started questioning my career and my life goals. Because I wanted to help people I decided to quit academia and study to be a mental health counselor. In this process, I got interested in mindfulness again and wanted to incorporate mindfulness in my practice. Indeed, during my master all my assignments were about how to incorporate mindfulness in therapy/counseling. Recently, I got a MBSR certification and a mindfulness certification to treat children and teens. I use mindfulness with my clients on a daily basis and for the last 3 years I've been meditating daily. Because I want to deepen my own practice and also offer mindfulness programs to my clients, I decided to become a mindfulness coach. I am very excited to start this new journey!        

• Like 1

• Administrators

Hello Ana! It is wonderful to have you here - and thank you for the introduction. I love reading stories about peoples unique paths through different careers in order to find a deeper sense of purpose and meaning. It's also great to hear that you've been weaving mindfulness into your work with clients.

I had a similar introduction to mindfulness. It was through Jon Kabat-Zinn as well, but it was his book 'Wherever You Go, There You Are' that pulled me in. 

I'm Gillian, by the way, the community moderator and part of Sean's support team for the program. If you run into any questions as you move through the program, let me know 🙂

Hi Gillian,

Thank you very much for your message. Jon Kabat-Zinn is great right? I will let you know if I have any questions. At the moment I am trying to get acquainted with all the course resources and materials. Very excited!  

• Like 1