NEXT LIVE WORKSHOP – Liam McClintock – The Neuroscience of Craving & Samadhi – Wed. May 18th (Link in Dashboard) ×

It’s been quite a while since I’ve been on this website. I live in Minneapolis and my apartment is blocks away from some of the violence and fires after George Floyd was murdered. I ended up pulling back from the idea of teaching mindfulness because I really just needed to take care of myself. I was also struggling with even meditating and finding my peace. I feel like I’m finally finding that peace again and that focus. The stress of the pandemic and not being involved with my regular social activities piled on top of seeing my neighborhood go up in flames and many of my neighbors businesses being destroyed. I was also upset about the January 6 invasion of the capital. With all those things piling up in my life I just needed to focus on me and take care of myself. I’m just starting to really realize The impact of my feelings and the situation around me. Until you’ve seen your city boarded up and me and many of my neighbors and friends are afraid to go out after dark because of the fear of violence due to George Floyd’s murder and rising unemployment. I think if I did not have the practice of mindfulness that I had prior to all of this I’m not sure how I would’ve done. I not gonna say that I flew through it with flying colors by any means. But what mindfulness did give me a sense of awareness of what was going on inside of me. I recognize the emotions, feelings and fears and I was able to see them as what they were. Some definitely were  genuine fears and concerns that I needed to address and I could work with them as they were and not let them take over my life in unhealthy ways. I could allow myself to be angry but not let it consume me.  Mindfulness also help me live in the moment and deal with the current issues in front of me. It also help me not go in to any extreme prejudice him or hatred. I was able to catch those thought patterns early and put them in a better perspective. I feel like I’m just starting to come back to normal Whatever that means. I’m calling at the new normal. I think this next year is a time where I’m going to sort many of us out and learn a lot about myself and I plan to use it as an opportunity to better who I am as a human being and to learn from it. I think I’m at that stage now instead of just surviving I can now look back and start learning and growing.  I’m looking forward to get getting more involved with the program again and continuing with the study of mindfulness and hopefully starting to teach others and help others become more mindful and have a more fulfilled life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Sandra,

It is lovely to read your words. Thank you for your honest, open, and heartfelt sharing of what this past year has been like for you. I admire your courage and your willingness to listen to your needs - to take a step back from studies as you felt called to and to tune into your own wellbeing with greater focus and commitment. It is also great to hear that mindfulness supported you through it all. As the saying goes, "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn how to surf." (words often attributed to Jon Kabat-Zinn).

Though my own experience of this past year was different that yours, I experienced a similar flow of energy. Last year I experienced a wave of emotions and many personal challenges that – eventually – helped to increase my sense of clarity, resilience, and courage. Now, upon the arrival of spring 2021, I am feeling a renewed sense of focus and commitment to the vision of what I wish to share and how I wish to share it. I think this past year was a huge turning point for a lot of us. There were many opportunities to do deep introspection and to grow.

I am very happy you've joined us in the community again. I look forward to more words of wisdom from you and hope you continue to enjoy the program. Reach out if you have any questions as you continue on 🙂 

• Like 1

I will reach out if I have some questions. This  last year has offered many opportunities of introspection. I know I’ve changed. I’m not sure how the changes will manifest. One thing I’m currently Evaluating is what groups I want to still keep in my life and what new ones I want to bring in. I’m feeling like I need to make some changes in my social life. Thinking back there may be some groups that I really feel  were  not feeding me and I may let them rest for a while longer. I’m also interested in bringing new things into my life so I’m going to explore that as well.  

• Like 1