Gillian Florence

What is the vision behind your desire to teach mindfulness?

• Administrators

This week's question asks:

We all have different experiences and catalysts that drive us to teach mindfulness and meditation. We also have our own unique visions as to who we wish to reach, what we wish to share, and what the intention behind our teachings are. Feel free to share what calls you to teach mindfulness.

Awareness is our Super Power - it allows us to determine how we want to show up in the next moment, how we will honor our greatness in the next moment. Mindfulness, is the key that allows, through training and practice, to be more aware of what we are feeling, how we are thinking. That we are often being dragged along throughout the day with actually being 'alive'.....operating in an automated state of almost nothingness (in general terms). Mindfulness, is the spotlight to finding the keyhole to unlock our ability to be aware and conscious. And with that ability, we discover being alive. We discover there is someone in there that is so much greater and larger than the small ego self that is working to keep us asleep at the wheel we call life. 

I want to share that wisdom, with anyone who has questions, anyone that wants to understand themselves better, with myself as a reminder not to go to sleep but to stay awake. Stay awake so I feel every single magnificence of life. The cool air in the morning as it kisses your cheeks, the sounds and smell of the earth, the sounds of voices, the touch of the world, the tastes of the air and food and the curiosity of my mind and soul. How beautiful is it that in every moment we have the opportunity to be a temporary agent of the divine by answering other peoples prayers by acting in our love, our being interested, our generosity and kindness. How cool is that, to be a live and actually actively participate in our lives....:) 

Have a wonderful evening

R

• Like 2

• Administrators

As we have many new members here, I am bringing this question back for our current Question of the Week. That is:

Consider what has brought you here, who you wish to help, or what concerns/challenges you wish to address.

Great Question, Gillian!

I knew I belonged here after my Phone conversation with Sean; certainly my Passion to help others has always been a strength with me, though some of those parties were not willing clients in my early days; moving forward I want to help others in local Community and hope to expand to Local Gov't agencies as well as the Healthcare Community as well having worked in Healthcare for over 11 Years. That takes two keys: The Openness and a Willingness.

And before we can teach others we have to be able to be aware of our present moments with curiosity, and having no judgements.

It's all an enlightening process! There's no magic here; it all takes practice!

Maulana Rumi says it all:

Poem by Maulana Rumi

"When I run after what I think I want,

my days are a furnace of distress and anxiety;

If I sit in my own place of patience,

what I need flows to me, and without any pain.

From this I understand that what I want also wants me,

is looking for me and attracting me.

There is a great secret in this for anyone who can grasp it".

Edited by finestcoaching524@gmail.com
Forgot to add Rumi's Poem
  • Like 2

Severe mental health issues led me here, in a roundabout way, and I remember the daily suffering. Mindfulness meditation "saved" me (and trauma work) and I can't stand to think of others being trapped in their brains the way I was. There are so many opportunities for joy in this world, and we all have a choice - we just don't always know it! So I guess I want to ease suffering.

Melissa

• Thanks 1

My vision that lead me to mindfulness is to release the suffering that I was feeling inside of me and help others do the same. Living with mental health issues for most of my life has hindered me living to my full potential. I was looking for deep healing last year and ready to release the pain and sadness I was feeling on a daily basis because of what has happened in my past. I felt guided to mindfulness meditation training as a tool to support my other efforts in healing myself. It has been the most effective and sustainable method to releasing the suffering I had been carrying around inside of me for most of my life. It has worked for me in profound ways that I want to teach others this tool as well so they can be free. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Thank you both for sharing. Relief of suffering and mental health concerns is certainly a common thread. I, too, came to mindfulness through mental health concerns – depression (and some anxiety as well). I first encountered mindfulness through Jon Kabat-Zinn's 'Wherever You Go, There You Are' and a lightbulb went off. I couldn't believe I'd never heard of the concept before!

There is so much potential for healing. Thank you both for being here.

• Like 2