Gillian Florence

Checking in: How is everyone doing?

• Administrators

Hey community,

I just wanted to check in to see how everyone is doing. For those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, we're deep into winter, and while spring is just around the corner, I imagine this was a very hard winter for a lot of us. I certainly felt the weight of this winter much more than I usually do. 

So, let me know how you are doing - either personally or with the course materials. I'd love to hear from you!

Doing Great after our Deep Freeze, Gillian! Temp is a far cry from the Freezing Temps we had last week in TX.; believe me...I know your Winter feeling!

Hope some Folks will be attending our 2PM/CDT Free Live Zoom Meditation today; here is the Link:

https://us04web.zoom.us/j/2712027508... 

Theme is From Compassion to a Loving Kindness-Self-Compassion; hope some come!!:)...

• Like 2

Hi!¬†I'm doing great.¬†Trying¬†to get caught up on the forum as there are a couple of separate topics I wanted to post. One¬†is introducing myself as I haven't officially done that yet, just to share a little more about me. ūüėÉ It is supposed to be in the low-to-mid 40s a¬†couple times in the next few days here and that is so exciting! I'm in New England so it's definitely above-average temperatures. It just brings hope that we are headed more towards Spring, wish to me can never come soon enough! Thanks for checking in with us and for sharing how you're doing as well.

Edited by lisammany@gmail.com
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Lovely to hear from you both! Rick, it seems like such a fluctuation there in Texas! A friend of mine made social media posts just a few days apart - the first she was making snow angels, the second she was sitting bare sleeved in the sun! I am glad you are out of the deep freeze now.

And Lisa - it is the same weather here now! I had to convert from F to C, but then I realized that our mild temperatures are comparable. It is going up to 10 C (50 F) today! Foggy, but my body rejoices in the thaw. Just a few days ago it was below zero, but it is changing quickly. I think there might be more freezing temperatures in store, but I am grateful for this little taste of spring at least.

• Like 1

Hello - It was such great timing to get an email prompt that you started this! I've been able to find time to do a lot of reflections for the certification recently and my goal is to have it finished by the end of January. 

And to add to the weather report - I'm in Colorado and we've been in the 60-70's with no snow in sight! Many of the ski resorts have had to delay their openings due to a lack of snow. It's really sad, and although the warm weather is nice, we should have snow in December! ūüôā Send all your cold weather here please!

Gillian - if I could ask a question unrelated to this topic. Can you direct me to any threads that have to do with mindfulness and grief? I'm hosting a 'holiday grief' event in a couple weeks and it would be nice to add a mindfulness activity. Thank you in advance.¬†ūüôŹ

• Like 1

Hello-

I'm less than a month in to the program and am just getting my bearings. I knew I wanted to start before the holidays, as busy as they are! ¬†One less thing to start in January. ūüėČ

I'm getting to know my way around this forum and becoming familiar with all the tools available. What a wealth of information!  I'm so excited to be here. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Paula, Amy, and Cindy,

So nice to hear from all of you and to get a sense of where you're at with the program. Amy - I'm glad to hear you're getting comfortable with the forum and all the materials in the dashboard. Reach out with any questions if they are.

Cindy - I hope the session was a great one! Yes - practice is key (both personal and professional). It's also great to learn from others as they teach. So often the experiences of teaching and feedback are universal.

Paula - you can certainly have some of my cold weather here in Sweden ūüôā¬† On your question about grief, below is a link to the thread we had about mindfulness of death, grief, and loss. Additionally,¬†in our last workshop with Dr. Gabor Mat√©, he talked a bit about grief. I'll share the link to that clip as well.

I loved this Gabor Maté's Video RE: Grief, since Grieving my Brother's loss is so pertinent with me since he passed away on Oct. 18, 2021. Knowing Grief can be far different than feeling it, & I never know when it will be-front me. Thank God, I have a loving Partner who is open and caring to listen to that, just as I have been there for her during her various losses too. I remember one night even crying myself to sleep. In a sense, I am Facing my Grief instead of Fearing it. I learned a long time ago that the anacronymn for FEAR= False Evidences Appearing Real...the more I face it in the present moment, I am not "subverting" as Gabor suggests. Having supportive networks is always beneficial. When I was faced with my Divorce many years ago, I had a Wonderful Therapist who assisted me way back then. You might say she walked me through my valley of tears and fears. Afterall, on the other side of suffering is Healing; we even prayed after some of my Painful sessions, that was very healing. 

Anyway, I hope anyone who reads this can benefit from it...Holidays can be rough for folks, especially this year still with the throes of the Pandemic.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Hi Debra,

The Tuesday calls are the best place to get feedback on your teachings. However, you can also bring any questions to Sean's Wednesday calls.

Have you seen yet the course on How to Guide Mindfulness Meditations? This may be of support for you (and is part of the requirements for certification): https://teach.mindfulnessexercises.com/mindfulness-courses/how-to-guide-mindfulness-meditations-for-well-being-and-resilience/

Furthermore, you can have a look at the MBI:TAC documents, which outline how you should be assessing your own teachings. This is what I consider when giving feedback in the Tuesday sessions: https://teach.mindfulnessexercises.com/course/the-mbitac-tool/

Re: the Tool, Gillian...what is the "Marker Name" ; is that the Person who is scoring mbitac? Was not clear...thanks.

Bangor University: MBSR/MBCT Teaching Practice Competence Assessment Module
Student Name:
Moderator:
Marker Name
Bangor University: MBSR/MBCT Teaching Practice Competence Assessment Module
Student Name:
Moderator:
Marker Name