Heather Gallagher

Dizziness During Meditation

Hello all, 

I've had this issue for several months now... when I meditate with my eyes closed I'll often feel slightly dizzy and nauseous. I do have Tinnitus (inner ear problem), but I don't have any issues with dizziness or nausea when going to sleep at night.  I've been practicing for approximately 2 years, steadily, and this was not an issue in the past.  Any insights?  It's not a big problem, I can just open my eyes, but I'm very curious as to why this only happens while meditating. 

Thanks!
Heather 

• Administrators

Hi Heather,

Thanks for sharing this with us! When did this start for you? So it is when your eyes are closed in a seated posture, but it's a new experience for you? I am not sure what could trigger that, especially if it was not an issue for your in the past. If it persists and you are concerned about it, you might want to check with a doctor about it just to be on the safe side. Other than that, are you doing anything new with your breath or have you switched styles of meditation? I find that open awareness meditation can leave me feeling a bit more... airy I guess you could say... whereas mindfulness of breathing or body scans are far more grounding for me.

I also wonder if the general collective uncertainty we are facing could be a factor. On an unconscious level that could be impacting your practice. I find myself crawling into child's pose more often than I usually do during yoga for instance. I think it's because the world feels more turbulent to me now than it used to be and so my body-mind is seeking stillness and grounding. Just a thought!

9 hours ago, Gillian Florence said:

Hi Heather,

Thanks for sharing this with us! When did this start for you? So it is when your eyes are closed in a seated posture, but it's a new experience for you? I am not sure what could trigger that, especially if it was not an issue for your in the past. If it persists and you are concerned about it, you might want to check with a doctor about it just to be on the safe side. Other than that, are you doing anything new with your breath or have you switched styles of meditation? I find that open awareness meditation can leave me feeling a bit more... airy I guess you could say... whereas mindfulness of breathing or body scans are far more grounding for me.

I also wonder if the general collective uncertainty we are facing could be a factor. On an unconscious level that could be impacting your practice. I find myself crawling into child's pose more often than I usually do during yoga for instance. I think it's because the world feels more turbulent to me now than it used to be and so my body-mind is seeking stillness and grounding. Just a thought!

I'd say about 4 months ago it started. And it mostly happens when I am seated with eyes closed, it can happen if lying down with eyes closed.

And that's a very interesting insight.  My doctor seems to be unsure as well, and my body's response to anxiety/stress typically is dizziness and nausea, BUT I felt like there was no triggers in these moments (at least that I am aware of).  I am started to suspect that the more I meditate the more aware I've become of my body and how I told stress.  Thank you for your response, I guess I'm just trying to weed out possibilities but it's looking more and more like... a stress response! I just wasn't sure if other's knew something I didn't.  Thank you again! 

• Like 1

Hello Heather,

If I can add to Gillian's response: "...you might want to check with a doctor about it just to be on the safe side...." we cannot determine your situation, even with the best of Mindful insights; if your Dr. does not have a clue, then, maybe you need a second opinion, if not, an Ear, Nose, & Throat Doctor, esp having a Tinnitus issue; when Physical symptoms show up, it is always best to rule out Medical issues, then work it from there; I am not a Dr. yet have a Medical background...so be Safe, that's what I would do......

Best Wishes, & May You Be Well.

~~~Rick~~~

Edited by finestcoaching524@gmail.com
forgot a comma.
  • Like 1