Gillian Florence

What comes up for you when you gaze at a single object?

• Administrators

This week's question is a bit experimental. It asks:

What comes up for you when you gaze at a single object?

I'm sitting at my desk looking at a taper candle nestled into its brass holder. It got my curious about what it feels like to be really present with a single object. So for this question of the week, I invite you to choose an object in the room you're sitting in. Take a minute just to explore it with all of your senses (those that are appropriate given your object). How does this make you feel? What are you mindful of in mind, body, heart? (Feel free to share a photo of your object if you like).

• Administrators

As noted above, the item I've chosen is a candle. It stirs in me feelings of gratitude, as well as a sense of being grounded and safe. I am mindfully aware that I tend to take these small things for granted, and so it feels quite touching to really tune in and notice something so simple. When I smell the candle, I notice a feeling of mild repulsion (it is not a lovely soy or beeswax candle but something undoubtedly made with chemicals). Just smelling it stirs a desire to recommit to buying fewer things (and using less) but opting for things that are best for myself and the planet.

IMG_5329.JPG