Gillian Florence

Why do you (or why do you want to) teach mindfulness?

• Administrators

This week's question asks:

Why do you (or why do you want to) teach mindfulness?

I invite you to take a few moments to consider what led you down this path as a mindfulness teacher. Feel free to share as much or as little about your inner callings, experience, and aspirations as you like.

• Like 1

As I get older, and listening to Jack Kornfield, we are only here for a limited time, and then we are gone! Everything arrives and then passes away!

It hit me last night while in bed, and he reminds us there will be an "ocean of tears" too regarding Losses we experience as I shed a few last evening! And Losses can be of many kinds! I sensed for me, some of my youth was stolen from me because my natural emotional growth was shattered one day when I got slapped across the face by our Sister Principal in front of my First Grade class for such a minor innocent infraction, & that incident held me back for many many years...it took a lot of Therapy and standing up to a Boss of mine one day when I was encouraged by a dear Nurse Friend of mine, to tell my Boss off in an appropriate way, since this was during a "Feelings" meeting on a Friday afternoon...I was in my 30's then...believe me, my Courage prevailed too, in another Work situation, when an Attorney tried to get me fired from a Job as a Child Protective Services Worker job when I was in my 50's, basically due to her own ignorance relating to what my Role was with a mutual Case...she later came up to me and admittedly, she finally understood my Job....so accusations come and go as Jack relates...so today my Courage continues...I realize today, these were Transformation times, major Growth spurts!

I have always had a Passion for Learning and Training; the more I learn, the more confident I become, so my limited time has come to share my Growth and expertise with others, so that hopefully, when I do pass away, there will always be at least one person who will remember me for who and what I had become....

You might say, Jack Kornfield's message stirred up many years last night...and many lost feelings!!!! 

Well, Gillian, I am still here & learning; this almost felt like Therapy today, even though many of those issues have passed!

So Ha Gillian, you did say, "Feel free to share as much or as little about your inner callings...."!

Edited by finestcoaching524@gmail.com
  • Like 1
  • Administrators

Thank you for sharing all of this Rick. Yes, as much or as little is always welcome 🙂

I appreciate you opening up about this because I think that as we share where we've been, we help to paint a picture of our full humanity and shed light on what has brought us to where we are now. 

A bit about my own journey here: I came to mindfulness in my early twenties after feeling completely disillusioned with the path that I was on. I had completed a commerce degree in Hotel and Food Administration, but after four years spent finishing the program, I realized I didn't want to pursue the a path in hospitality or business. I struggled with depression (not clinically diagnosed, but it was a persistent theme since I was around 15) and so one day, realizing something had to change, I went to a bookstore to seek help. I picked up and purchased Jon Kabat-Zinn's 'Wherever You Go, There You Are' and that was that. That was the beginning.

Now I feel called to share mindfulness and meditation because of how much mindful inquiry and practice have helped me to feel more at peace, more content, and more confident in my authentic self. I know I am not alone in the thoughts and feelings I've experienced and so I hope to help others who need support in finding their way.

Hi

The last couple of weeks I have been withdrawn, thinking on my how's and whys of what is to come next. This happens to me often during the change of seasons, this year it has been deeper. Maybe because of COVID, along with turning 60 yesterday; so this question is timely.

In many informal, instinctive ways throughout my life, I have been a teacher of many things. Universe has crossed my path with many travelers. The last 5 years I have begun to understand my path. Teaching mindfulness is one of my destinations. I have learned a lot about myself. This course along with the study of Karuna Reiki has been key in continuing to work on my inner garden. Each day I feel and see how the impact of mindfulness. 

I feel that this course is providing the confidence and affirmation that I am ready to help others understand who they are and create awareness of our interconnectiveness. How the way we choose to be, has an impact far greater than what we usually imagine. To be able to relate on this level is how we can work for the higher good.

Nancy

• Like 1

Thank you Gillian. I am still working through where I should be. I am in transition  🙂

I guess my starting point is Reiki, Those that make appointments do so for a myriad of reasons. The underlying resolution for all is to take the time to be present and become aware of your true being. It is a process, we identify,acknowledge, accept who we are in any given moment. we learn self compassion through meditation. It is a beautiful to share this space. I believe adding the Mindfulness Meditation will enhance the experience even more.

I'm working on my website,  & will be doing an online event with a colleague in January on Self DIscovery. I am also working on creating a Podcast for February on Self love.

I guess everything will fall into place in time, 

Namaste

Nancy

• Like 1

I have two reasons why I want to teach others:

I lived 48+ years of my life based on certain beliefs and feelings about myself, as I grew up believing what other people thought about me, and who they said I was, was true. I have since learned so much through mindfulness and meditation practices and had many "Aha" moments, which have shifted my life. I want to share what I have learned to help others feel better about themselves, so they don't live their entire life under the identify of other people's perceptions.

The second reason is because, in my opinion, so much of the world is focused on business and doing and many people live under the umbrella of constant stress and to-do's. I love that mindfulness not only allows the pause of non-doing, that it encourages it. And what a gift it is to take that pause. I want to help others who are seeking that pause in their lives, and support them on their own journey of self-discovery. My hope is to help others, while I myself continue to learn, how to notice and appreciate our lives so we don't miss out in the beauty of it. I truly feel within myself that this is my calling and I am so excited to see how it will unfold.

• Like 1
  • Administrators

Hello Lisa! So wonderful to have you here. I just sent you an email to check in, but I will introduce myself here as well. I'm Gillian - community moderator and support for the program. If you have any questions going forward, feel free to send me a message or post directly in the forum.

Your words hold much passion and devotion, which is really lovely to see. It is wonderful to hear about how deeply mindfulness and meditation have impacted you and how you wish to offer this to others. Have you facilitated any such work for individuals or groups yet? Are you at the very beginning of your journey?

Looking forward to hearing more! 🙂

It's nice to meet you Gillian. Thank you for the email as well. No, I haven't facilitated any practices yet. I've meditated for a couple years, but really deepened my practice in 2020, participating in meditation groups and completing an MBSR course. I'm excited to see what 2021 will bring.

• Like 1