Gillian Florence

What is something you can improve on as a mindfulness teacher?

• Administrators

This week's question asks:

What is something you can improve on as a mindfulness teacher?

This question is designed to spark self-reflection, considering both our strengths and where we have room to grow. Perhaps you could improve on your pacing, your knowledge of a certain technique, your ability to address unexpected interruptions, or something else. Feel free to share anything that you would like to work on.

I love our “A Clinician’s Guide To Teaching Mindfulness”! 

My latest Focus has been on “Loving Kindness”! I can’t wait get in front of a Class of students. 

Wish we had a whole section on Marketing|Companies, just sayin! We must have folks who have accomplished this. 

Edited by finestcoaching524@gmail.com
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Loving kindness is one of my favourite practices 🙂

On the marketing front, I wonder if there are mindfulness teachers who also have a marketing background. I am sure there are!

In the meantime, I just found this article on marketing for yoga teachers (though it could certainly apply to mindfulness teachers). I will leave it here:

https://yogainternational.com/article/view/marketing-tips-for-teachers-how-to-reach-more-students-and-stay-true-to-you

This is a great question. And I'm enjoying the responses so far. As a clinical practitioner prior to sinking my feet into this Mindfulness Meditation training, I find the same challenge comes up again. My challenge is in regards to using a script vs "winging it." As a clinician I began using scripts which I modified as I read with my clients. Nowadays, when I'm practicing with peers in my MindBody Therapy program I have become very comfortable to "wing it" but end up missing out on other ideas to refresh how I lead someone in a meditative practice. I wonder how to integrate this "winging it" with using/reading a script. I wonder about blending them somehow, kind of like what I did before as a newbie clinician, though I found this challenging for me to stay in the moment while also relying on a script AND using my intuition to guide someone in their mindfulness meditation practice. 

• Like 1

I can't figure out how to edit my post, so I'll just add on here- that my intuition is saying there is much for me to expand on, in terms of refreshing old meditative practice habits, and when 1:1 with clients or others. I suppose I've come to a question as well, in that I'm wondering how others do this but I don't know if this question is appropriate in this thread. -Amy 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Hey Amy,

First just a quick note: There should be a button that says 'Edit' beneath your post. Let me know if you aren't seeing it there.

And this is a great question you've raised. I tend to wing it as well, but what I do like sometimes is to make a list of key practices/insights I want to touch on. So rather than using a full script, I will note the main things I want to get to while leaving plenty of space for my intuition to guide me. If using a script, you could highlight the main intention and key practices within the script that you want to share with your clients. Does that sound like it could work as a blend of the two?

Hi Gillian and Rick, thank you. I see that now (about the edit button)

and thanks Gillian; it makes sense to blend. I like the idea of preparing a session with an outline; having the major points of a meditation practice, and then going with the flow of how things turn out. I tend to get anxious using a script, or anything in front of me at all. I think this is why I initially began "winging it" because it seemed to really take the pressure off. Now I'm thinking, I'd like to try typing an outline with script pointers and not have it present with me during the session. I think just writing it out will help.

• Like 1

• Administrators

That's a great idea. I do think that just writing it out, even if you don't bring your notes with you to a session, will help to solidify where you intend to go with a particular session. Scripts could be used as inspiration for this when you are in the planning phase.

• Like 1