Gillian Florence

What insights or questions do you have about teaching mindfulness virtually?

This week's question asks:

What insights or questions do you have about teaching mindfulness virtually?

Many of us are going into winter soon, and given the current state of the pandemic, we will be likely facing restrictions that impact in-person teachings. Does anyone have questions about teaching virtually? Or, if you are teaching online yourself, what platforms do you use and what tips can you offer to other teachers?

Ahh...I have a Technical Tip:

I see Folks who are not well represented with Light; I had that issue too as well since I am a Volunteer for a Career group on Zoom.

If you are a Presenter, it is good to have Equal amounts of light around you so you are well lit and not having very bright backlighting that can be overexposing one's image for the public; some folks do not have enough lighting which shows too much shade around you, so I bought what's called a Ring-light; it's $35.99; I am happy with mine, I am considering another; here is the link from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Extendable-Sensyne-YouTube-Compatible-Android/dp/B08B3X7NXC/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3FGJML3EKK4AG&dchild=1&keywords=ring+light&qid=1605905617&s=electronics&sprefix=Ring+%2Caps%2C186&sr=1-3.   

Hope this help!!!! I like it cause it has "..... 3 color modes (cool white, warm yellow and daylight) and 10 brightness levels to meet your different needs": It is well Worth the Cost!!

When I get a chance I'll do a demo Video someday on Youtube. 

When presenting on Zoom, it helps to look like Pro!!

• Like 1

That is a great tip! Thank you Rick. I have been thinking about getting one of those myself, but as I haven't done many video teachings recently (I mainly upload onto Insight Timer) I haven't made the purchase yet. 

During the beginning of the pandemic, I did a few live sessions via Zoom. I had purchased a pro account as some of my sessions went longer than 40 minutes, but Zoom is a great free option for shorter sessions.

Hey Gillian,

Have you contemplated having a Zoom call yourself for our Class, seeing as you are our Leader here? Hey, pick a Topic and give us a Zoom link & we are off & running, or is that outside of your scope of responsibilities? Just curious...think it would be Mindfully pleasant!:)

Hey Gillian,

Is there anyway, you can make the Live Zoom Thanksgiving Mindful Meditation for Members ( I am ready & willing); I realize it is a Holiday, however, some of us will be home and Not traveling! I am posting the Link in our "Global Mindful Meditation Groups on Facebook>>> (https://www.facebook.com/groups/GlobalMindfulMeditationGroup

and Linkedin, (>>> https://www.linkedin.com/groups/12268868/ ); here is the Zoom Link to the Thanksgiving Day Meditation Group that occurs at:  2:30 PM/CDT: 

Topic: Thanksgiving Mindful Meditation
                                                            Time: Nov 26, 2020 02:30 PM Central Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us04web.zoom.us/j/2712027508?pwd=VzUwcE0yaXc2UG1aYkhMVGhaT0dTQT09

Meeting ID: 271 202 7508
                                                            Passcode: MindfulMed

On 11/22/2020 at 5:13 AM, finestcoaching524@gmail.com said:

Hey Gillian,

Have you contemplated having a Zoom call yourself for our Class, seeing as you are our Leader here? Hey, pick a Topic and give us a Zoom link & we are off & running, or is that outside of your scope of responsibilities? Just curious...think it would be Mindfully pleasant!:)

Hi Rick,

I am flattered that you view me as a leader here. I guess in terms of community discussion I do guide certain reflections and flow of thought. In terms of guiding meditations, I am learning alongside all of you. However, I will sit on the idea and propose something in the future if it feels natural. 😊

And that is wonderful that you are leading a Thanksgiving session! My boyfriend's birthday is this Friday and we may have a celebration on Thursday evening. If I am able to attend, I will send you a message. I will add an announcement in the sidebar of this community so that others might find it more easily.

The more the merrier...I am not expecting 387 Folks like Diana Winston had a week ago; (I have reached out to Diana  Winston & the Hammer Museum with no response so far); could be a teaching tools for those who may want to learn from any deficits I may display...I am using a scrip from Sean's list...it's a secret so far!:)

I am opening myself up to Transparency...Sean has a page for Creative Sounds if anyone is interested; it is:

Beautiful Water Sounds:  https://mindfulnessexercises.com/downloads/water-sounds-flow-state/ >>I like the "Tropical Beach at Sunset, myself. 

Anyway, Teaching is being open to humble compassionate critiques, right?

Hi

I have not ventured out in the virtual platform yet. Would love to hear from others who have. I am currently working on an idea that will include Reiki, Transformational Thinking, and Guided Mindfulness Meditation.  I am quite new with the idea of "marketing" myself.  A few thoughts/questions that I have:

How to start:

Live Event that discusses the program, with people then signing up? Best format? Zoom, Facebook Live?

How to reach people? 

I think with the current situation of Covid, Virtual Teaching of Mindfulness is very important.

With Gratitude

Nancy

• Like 1

Hi Nancy,

Welcome aboard! You are amongst Friends!!!

Great Questions! All Businesses are operating Post Covid right now...and adjusting to using New Resources  unfamiliar to them...

You certainly market yourself via Live Videos on Facebook, Linkedin, Zoom, & Podcasts as well---whatever Creative means to assist you! We all are taking on various formats!

Some Folks are designing Workshops on Eventbrite.com; I have considered that as well, though have not taken that step! Come Join us at Sean's Q & A: 

Wednesday, November 25 - 11am PST / 2pm EST

The Zoom Link:   https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81900255411

Hope to see you there! Feel free to reach out to us...there's No "I" in TEAM!!! Hope that helps:

~~~Rick~~~

• Like 1

Thanks for mentioning Eventbrite! I have used Eventbrite before (a few years ago) but not for virtual events. I remember that I did have sign ups for workshops from people who found the event just through the Eventbrite listings. So that could definitely be a good way to reach people Nancy. https://www.eventbrite.com/

A free event could be really great to get people curious about the program. You could have them sign up with their email and ask for their consent to reach out with program details later. This could be a marketing tool for you. Then you could host on Zoom or Facebook live. With Zoom, people would have to intentionally join in, whereas if you did Facebook live, you might have people stumbling upon it who would not have otherwise joined in. This might help to spread the word, and then people could share the video afterwards.

More ideas for reaching people - consider posting your event in any Facebook groups you are a part of (those that allow members to promote their own events). You could also email friends who would be interested and remind them that they can pass the details on if they know anyone else who might be curious about your offerings.

Thank you Gillian!

It is all very exciting. I am simultaneously working on updating website, linkd in & strategy. I am going to check out the different venues suggested. Will keep you posted as everything evolves.

Enjoy the day

• Like 1

17 hours ago, njmintzer8@gmail.com said:

Thank you Gillian!

It is all very exciting. I am simultaneously working on updating website, linkd in & strategy. I am going to check out the different venues suggested. Will keep you posted as everything evolves.

Enjoy the day

That's great! Yes, let us know how it all flows and if you come across any other great tools along the way.