Gillian Florence

What qualities do you admire in your own mindfulness and meditation teachers?

• Administrators

This week's question asks:

What qualities do you admire in your own mindfulness and meditation teachers?

Consider the teachers that you really resonate with. What is it that you admire about them? What qualities do they have that inspire and nourish? Feel free to share who the teacher is and what qualities or values they seem to embody.

The first thing that come to mind: a sense of humor! That just makes it all so much more accessible and makes me, as a student, take myself less seriously. But also: compassion. Great storytelling skills. An ability to call me and other students on our BS. An ability to tune in so well to what we're saying and where it's coming from. 

• Like 2

I would have to say the traits that speak to me most are authentic, transparent, open minded, humor, and coachable themselves.  I feel we are most able to grow, when those teaching us are also students in the process.  Every client I have teaches me so much.  That committment to growth and not ego to wisdom.  that is my jammmm

• Like 2

I would say bringin us back to the humaity within the practice. Its all too easy to believe you are suppose to get caught up in the expectation of the practice, and there really is no expectation when you are led to arrive over and over again in a new beginning. 

Edited by themindfulcarecollective@gmail.com
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Thanks Natalie, Katie, and Alexaraye! I resonate a lot with what you all have said. What stands out most for me in a teacher is authenticity and an energy of being grounded and down-to-earth. 

On the humour note, have you followed the teachings of James Baraz? The first time I watched him speak was in a training here a few months ago. At the end, he played his guitar and the whole group broke into song. Really beautiful! You can watch the replay here if you're interested - https://teach.mindfulnessexercises.com/5-19-20-james-baraz-awakening-joy/

• Like 1

Think I'll jump in here...somewhere  in Business I heard the quote: "People don't care how you know til they know how much you care"!

I met with a New client today, related to my Photography Business; here we were not able to shake hands, both with masks on and barely could breathe...shje was quietly Sociable and told me how this was a New experience for planning A Family Portrait session with no experience...well, I have her my Ideas and encouraged to lean into her ideas, yet was rather shy....so I made up my Mind that I wanted to leave her with a caring Positive attitude, and that even though her Husband was not part of our meeting, I found ways of making it just as much about his meeting as it was his Wife's...

When we addessed the cost she asked, "Can I pay the total all at once"? That told me that I was able to make her feel comfortable even though never seeing one another before...what was I going to say, No? Of course not! 

Edited by finestcoaching524@gmail.com
  • Like 1