Gillian Florence

David Treleaven - Trauma-Sensitive Mindfulness

Hello all! I am curious to hear about your experiences and reflections on David's workshop on trauma-sensitive mindfulness. I watched the recording (which you can now find here) and was really touched by it all - the questions, the member sharings, and everything that David offered.

At the end, I really felt a strong urge to hear the conversation continue. Dark night experiences and working with memory are topics that really intrigue me as well.

Some of what I really liked were the exercises using the hands (both were impactful), as well as this notion that we don't need to be 100% 'healed' in order to support others with trauma using mindfulness. I also liked that David highlighted the quality of curiosity a couple of times because when it comes down to it, we can never be sure what a person needs or can handle, but by remaining curious, we start to learn more about who they are and how we can best support them.

What did other people take away from this?

I found David's workshop to be helpful, not just in terms of the topic - trauma-sensitive mindfulness - but for the general utility of some of his concepts/models.  In particular, I think the TSM Practice model that he shared (3 circles - safe, learning, & overwhelm) is a fabulous framework that can be applied to almost any situation.   I used the model the day after the workshop in a coaching situation with a colleague who was struggling with her role on a specific project. The model provided her with a simple framework to help her determine if she was learning/feeling some discomfort, or if she was, in fact, in a state of "overwhelm".  Introducing and discussing the model helped inform her next steps in a pretty major way. 

Another take-away for me  was that using trauma-sensitive techniques to teach mindfulness is a great way to practice across the board. I liken this to how changes that were designed to include/make things easier for people with disabilities (e.g., curb cuts, alternative formats) actually end up being better for everyone!

I'm grateful to have participated in the workshop.

Thank you,

Vanessa

• Like 1

David's Presentation was Awesome!

I enjoyed his whole approach to Trauma! I actually got to see it twice since he 

presented at the Embodiement Summit! I took copious notes too!

The Key take away for me was "Options" given the PTSD Person options whether with specific choices to 

open their eyes, leaving the meditation with another person, then coming back; giving them the choice to discern anything 

with the Meditator after the meeting...all quality choices. His Book sounds awesome too! My Next Read!

• Like 1

Thanks Vanessa and Rick! I also liked the 3 circle framework and can see how this could be used as a tool in so many situations. I too resonated with the idea of using these principles and practices across the board. One of the yoga studios I go to uses 'consent stones' in all of their classes (similar to what David was talking about). If you are open to hands-on touch, you take a stone out the small box and place it on your mat. If you do not want hands-on adjustments, you don't grab a stone.